Monday, December 3, 2007

Something Under the Tree


The November Art Poll by Bob polls are closed and the museum that most people would like to be “accidentally” locked in overnight is The Louvre (Paris, France), with 12 votes. The Louvre surged ahead of The Hermitage (St. Petersburg, Russia) (11 votes) at the very end. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, New York) came in third with 7 votes, The Prado (Madrid, Spain) garnered 6 tallies, and The Tate Britain (London, England) brought up the rear with 4 nods. I was surprised by the support for The Hermitage, but the people have spoken.

To celebrate the Christmas season, December’s Art Poll by Bob asks “Which of the following high-priced works of art would you like to see under your tree Christmas morning?”:

Willem de Kooning’s Woman III ($137.5 million USD in 2006)

Damien Hirst’s For the Love of God ($100 million USD in 2007)

Gustav Klimt’s Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I ($135 million USD in 2006)

Jackson Pollock’s No. 5, 1948 ($140 million USD in 2006)

Vincent Van Gogh’s Portrait of Dr. Gachet ($82.5 million USD in 1990)

I’d love to buy each and every one of you a valuable work of art as thanks for reading my ramblings, but this is the best that I can offer. And I don’t want anyone asking for a BB gun instead. Somebody could lose an eye.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did not vote for The Hermitage, but I wonder if its popularity was influenced by Debra Dean's excellent book, The Madonnas of Leningrad: A Novel. Mimsy

Bob said...

Hi, Mimsy,

It's certainly possible. I don't know anything about the novel, so I'll have to give it a look see. I'm always on the lookout for art-related literature, especially good fiction.

Thanks for the tip!

--Bob